29.10.13

I Went To Lille And It Was LOVELY

A couple of weeks back Alex and I set off on a little trip across the channel to Lille and Amsterdam. We went with coach company iDBUS, which I was reviewing for work. They offer trips all over Europe for crazy cheap prices.  Our first leg of the trip was London > Lille, which we decided to do overnight. Here was our little set up for the journey - Luther, snacks and blankets! What more could you need, I ask you?!


Surprisingly we did manage to get some sleep! The day time coach to Lille is only about 5 hours on coach, but I actually recommend doing the longer overnight trips, as you get more time at the destination and it can be a strategic way to dodge paying for more hotel nights than you have to! 

We arrived at Lille VERY early and after ditching our bags at the hotel, headed straight out to explore. And drink a shitload of coffee. Here's Lille's Place Rihour - a lovely big square featuring the amazing Sephora, Europe's biggest bookshop Furet Du Nord and a monument or something...


We wandered up to Lille old town, which was like a maze of lovely cobbled streets and pretty houses. Loads of fancy designer shops and quirky vintage places, too. I didn't realise there was so much to see in Lille - how wrong I was...



We found a place called Funny Vintage - it's a vintage shop up the back and a furniture shop/cafĂ© up the front! Super cute.


We dined at a lovely burger place in the old town called Bun's Bazaar, and of course had our signature drink of Diabolo Grenadine - a drink an old french friend from work taught me about. Bought a massive bottle of Grenadine home so I can keep the french vibe going - is it totes french-chic for your teeth to fall out from sugar overdose? Cos that's where I'm heading... 




Chilling by the fountain in the main square by night - it was freakishly mild for the time of year!


The next day we wandered round a lovely local food market. Mainly for the Instagram photo opp - #healthy #colourful #ohnature #foodiwontactuallybuy


So, Lille's zoo is FREE (take note, world!) so we had a lovely day mooching around there and getting this cringey but brill photo taken by two people we returned the favour for...


Oh hai: 


We had a DIY picnic lunch featuring all of France's major food groups - meat, cheese and bread. This was Alex's absolute meatfest - it was obscene! Although this is the guy that once got a footlong Italian BMT in Subway with double meat and double cheese. How does he fit in his skinnies?!


Then we wandered the streets and I met an uber friendly local cat. I Instagrammed a great shot of her.


(I didn't bother with outfit posts on this trip as when I take a break, I like to also take a break from giving a damn about my appearance. Hobo chic all the way! Although tbh that is pretty much my daily style vibe anyway...)

PROPER hot chocolate at a local brasserie all the cool kids seemed to flock around.


Who let these uncool kids in?


Pretty view from our table.


The fleur shop: 


We dined at La Creperie - a highly rated and (more importantly...) highly affordable little local place. They had tons of savoury crepes (or 'galettes' as they're known) which were lovely and of course loads of sweet options for pud too. Here's Alex's salted caramel crepe! It was sooooo perfect.


Had to get a photo of this for obvious reasons.


Then it was one last wander around the surprisingly buzzing streets of little ol' Lille and it was back to the hotel to pack for Amsterdam the next morning - More on that in my next post!


We had so many lolles in Lille (see what I did there?) and are looking forward to going back ASAP! 

Have you been on any cool city breaks lately? Do share! Have got the city break bug now...

xo

23 comments:

  1. I'm so jealous! These are gorgeous photos xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your hair has got so long! Lille looked lovely. Must go at some point.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your hair has got so long! Lille looked lovely. Must go at some point.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I went to Lille with my family a few years ago, I may have mistaken the zoo for a children's playgroud initially, based on noises and lack of sight!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How is intra-continental bus service in Europe compared to the United States? I moved from Louisville to Seattle almost two months ago by Greyhound. Took 2.5 days, and only the ride from Louisville to Minneapolis had the nicest buses (leather seats, Wi-Fi, two electrical outlets per seat).

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Lille - I went to Bun Bazar on my visit last year and loved the French-themed burgers. x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really need to plan a trip to Lille. Your photos are making me think "why haven't I been before?!'. It's only like an hour drive from where I live too so no excuses! I'm looking forward to your Amsterdam post as well because I'll be going there, for the first time, in December.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I went to Lille when I was 14 and wasn't too keen! Sounds like I need to revisit.. and I always get my mum to bring me back grenadine! Great for a hangover I find. x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wish i could do a cheap trip like that but I can't stand coach travel :(
    Looks like you had a great time though x

    mary
    www.littlefeatherstyle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your hair is looking beautiful! Jealous of your little trip as well, looks lovely. xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lille looks fun! Especially the zoo! The only city breaks I've done this year are Dublin and Bath... I need to get away. Glad you had a good time.

    Ellie | mantrapixie | x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fab photos, I've always wanted to go to Lille! The food looks yummy! xo

    http://prettypetticoats.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ooh it looks so lovely :) I went to Dublin in June which was so much fun, but I have the city bug too... just want to tick lots of places off my list!
    Rosie x | Every Word Handwritten

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ahh Lille looks surprisingly amazing!! I've never really considered it as a go-to destination but you've swiftly changed my mind - mainly because of the hot chocolate / crepes / plethora of quirky shops! Oh and the free zoo! Bonus or what?! Glad you guys had an awesome time :) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have just liked your post! But wow, its a very interesting read. The place you found "Funny vintage" - can you give us its location? I have started blogging recently too and its really fun especially when people comment and interact. So far not much luck. Hope we can maintain the reciprocity, even if its jus conversations :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Gem, you're stunning and your blog is adorable!! Love the little cat icon by the URL ;) I'm a new follower! If you're interested you may follow me as well, in the meantime I look forward to reading more!

    aclassystateofgrace.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. I went to there just one week ago! and I loved it except the weather! It was too cold for me but great city! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks so much with this fantastic new web site. I’m very fired up to show it to anyone. It makes me so satisfied your vast understanding and wisdom have a new channel for trying into the world. Golf Betting Tips La Liga Spanyol

    ReplyDelete
  19. Mate this is a very nice blog here. I wanted to comment & say that I enjoyed reading your posts & they are all very well written out. You make blogging look easy lol I’ll attemp to start a blog later today and I hope it’s half as good as your blog! Much success to you! Judi Bola Online Beach Village Resort

    ReplyDelete
  20. There are some interesting points in time in this article but I don’t know if I see all of them center to heart. There is some validity but I will take hold opinion until I look into it further. Good article, thanks and we want more! Added to FeedBurner as well Thediamondhunt.com Shorthandedbreakaway.com Go-liv.come

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! ♥