22.3.12

dizzy with sunstroke

I've been spending a lot of the last week in Bexhill catching up with Alex's family and my own. We used to live there when we first got together and it's such a sleepy town that it drove us slowly mad and we were gagging to escape to city life in Canterbury. After a few years of living here, we're pretty much over the crazy-busy streets and extortionate rent/bars/shops. 

After some time on the other side of the fence, we can appreciate what a lovely little place Bexhill is, and are even hoping to move back there later this year to save some money before hopefully buying a place in Brighton! Summer in a city like Canterbury is just rubbish... Now I'm all growed up, I've realised that the few things I need to be happy are sunshine, a beach on which to enjoy it and an absolute plethora of charity shops - all of which Bexhill has in spades!

I met this cute little chap, Maxy, on the train. His owner was a little old lady on a long trip to Chichester. I helped her with her suitcase when we had to change at Ashford! Love how he's smiling for the camera in this picture :)


OMG - so, there was recently an incredible Andy Warhol exhibition at the De La Warr Pavilion in Bexhill (featuring the original screen print he used to make his infamous Marilyn print). We were walking past the Pavilion when a maintenance guy (we assume) was oiling the hinges of some big (and usually locked) windows that a couple of posters were in... Me being me, I asked if we could have one, he said yes and gave us all three that remained! Two of the Marilyn ones, and one Chairman Mao. SCORE! We're getting these babies framed as we speak! 


A couple of photos of the view from the De La Warr:



A couple of shots of my low key outfits, taken on the roof of the Pavilion on different days (Alex's parents live right opposite, so we often go there for a mooch!) 

Hat, jeans, glasses - Topshop. Boots, bag, shirt, jacket - charity shop! 

(tote - Topshop, tee - Gap, leggings - Monki, shoes - charity shop)

You may have noticed some cool additions to the footwear department in these pics. Well, I have been having an absolute RIOT in the famous Bexhill charity shops, which have been mentioned on this blog many times before. Here are my latest purchases (click to enlarge!)




Velvet lace-ups £5, navy bow mini-heels - £2, AMAZING BROWN CHELSEA BOOTS for £2 that I've been harping on about on Twitter (quite rightly), an adorable new bag for my camera - £1.30, a crazy squirrel sweater with built-in collar - £3, and I didn't buy these, but there were 3 pots of Mac Pigment in the YMCA for 99p each! Clueless pricing is my absolute fave.

Other fun things I've been doing include taking Alex's parents to the Odeon 'Senior Screen' - if you haven't heard of this you MUST listen to me very carefully right now. Every week at most Odeons, they have a film screening in the morning of a recent movie and it costs £3 for a ticket (for ALL, not just seniors, and if you're lucky enough for your local Senior Screen to fall on a Wednesday, you get Orange Wednesday discount too!) and you get free tea/coffee and biscuits too - AMAZING! I think it's quite a little-known secret, because Alex and I were seemingly the only under 35's in the room! 

We saw My Week With Marilyn and we all adored it. 



I headed over to Brighton on Tuesday evening for dinner and drinks with my homegirl, Danielle! 



Yeah, I bought a Smirnoff Ice AND WHAT? It was cheaper than a mixer and to be quite honest, I happen to think they're pretty awesome.


We dined at the Gourmet Burger Kitchen, which I've never been to. It was glorious. The halloumi bites were incredible, and the cheese and bacon burger was delightful! 



The rest of my week off will include accompanying Alex and his parents to see Paul Merton tomorrow night in Eastbourne (I'm not really into live comedy but I'm told this guy is funny), more charity shop shopping in Bexhill on Saturday (why not?) and then seeing the Bootleg Beatles back here in Canterbury on Sunday, with Alex, his parents and my brother (Beatles fanboy numero uno). Should be good fun! 

If you've got this far, you really deserve a medal! 

I've kinda hogged the conversation, tell me what you've been up to? Any of you had any charity shop successes of your own lately? If so, do tell me what town it was in. I dream of hosting some kind of charity shopping blogger bus tour... Give me destination ideas! ;)

53 comments:

  1. love ur coat and the food looks yummys :) x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those velvet shoes are amazing! Jealous! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your blog so much, you're literally hilarious and love reading about what you've been up to :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how the dog is smiling! I didn't realise non-seniors could go to senior screen, that's great news!

    Caroline x
    Caroline's Catwalk

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really wanted to go to that exhibition but alas I am no where near Bexhill. Jelz of your posters

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has moved to Sheffield now, I think, not sure if that's any nearer you? xx

      Delete
  6. I am also a secret smirnoff ice lover. Lets start a club?
    X

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooh amazing charity shopping success! I've had quite a bit of designer luck including a Missoni blanket (which im obsessed with) and a Jigsaw silk shit.. second hand ftw!
    Should deff do a bloggers bus tour haha, I made a 'thrifty' map for my end of hackney and am determined to do more!
    Charlotte xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WOW, your map sounds great! Congrats on your finds, I don't have much luck with designer stuff! xx

      Delete
  8. I'm so jealous of those amazing charity shop finds! The shops round me are rubbish, the old lady volunteers are too clued up on their pricing strategies! x

    ReplyDelete
  9. where is your lovely leather jacket from gem?
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Topshop a couple of years ago!

      Delete
    2. aww thanks for replying so quickly! its really lovely - ive been looking for the 'right' one for ages now and having no luck :/ x

      Delete
  10. Wah I'm always so jealous of seeing people's charity shop finds. When I lived in Norwich (WHICH IS INCREEEEEDIBLE FOR CHARITY SHOPPING... and vintage... and everything ever) I used to go about once a week and would always find some amazing things. I moved to London a couple of years ago and it is a big pile of poo for charity shopping and it's something I really do miss about home :( lovely post! xx

    http://themusingsofflorence.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will have to check out Norwich! Lots of people speaking very highly of it and its bargain potential!

      Delete
  11. Yeah I love bexhill, walking along the beach all the time in summer.<3 Oh and I saw you that day after you saw MWWM at bus-stop, was having a bit of a 'starstruck' moment. me: omg mum thats gem!!! i read her blog!!! you know her from superscrimpers mum, remember - nail art!!!' lololol. :)) xo

    ReplyDelete
  12. I would totally join that tour! Frigging love charity shops! And you're right about Canters charity shop, a bit pricey in comparison to if you venture out to Whitstable or Herne Bay! I'm taking my mum away for the weekend, and we're going to Eastbourne, fingers crossed thu have some good 'uns haha. Love your posts!x Sam xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh Eastbourne CAN be good, but Bexhill is only 15 mins away on the train if you get the chance! :) x

      Delete
  13. If there is a charity shop tour I will totally be there! I've not been up to much really, im a boring old fart! Though i did manage to get dressed and to school this morning, even posted on my blog haha!

    http://safiya-marie.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's more than I've done today - go you! ;)
      x

      Delete
  14. Love this post!
    I also agree with Florence, I live in Norwich and happen to believe it is one of the best places ever for charity shopping.
    I will definitely be checking out the senior screenings.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. P.s Smirnoff Ice rocks!! But I am usually to embarassed to order them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, trust me I was, too. But if it means saving money, it must be done!

      Delete
  16. My charityshops are so wise and price precise. Maaaann it sucks. I can't even afford charity shops sometimes!
    It would be mine
    Haha thats a good tip to go to the cinema! I need to find an old friend!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Paul Merton is amazing live!! My and my bf saw him doing stand up and we were in tears! He must be doing a tour because I'm seeing him on monday in Perth. I hope you like him! The charity shops near me are a bit expensive due to being on the outskirts of London (boo).

    voiceinthebreeze.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  18. Have to agree with two things people have said in the comments: 1. Paul Merton is a funny man. 2. Norwich is excellent for charity shops and vintage (I went to Uni there). Love you blog posts as ever!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love posts like this as it shows what great finds you can pick up and mix in with high street stuff for a unique look - I still have friends who would not been seen dead in a charity shop until they ask where I found something lol!
    I'm off out shopping today on a charity shop trawl!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, my friends are like that too! I just can't imagine a life without charity shopping?! How do they cope?

      Delete
  20. I know what you mean about learning to appreciate the quieter towns. I lived in London for a year and then was desperate to move back to my hometown of Brighton. Its the best place to be in the summer :) x

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love the squirrel jumper, I'm jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Pretty jealous, all sounds wondeful! I've been stuck in the city working all week. Going to have some lunch and a drink on Mill Lane in Cardiff in the sun (maybe even a Smiroff Ice!) Albany Rd and Whitchurch in Cardiff have amazing chairty shops, I have 5 days off over Easter so I will be hitting those. Those boots are amazing xx

    ReplyDelete
  23. Great post, I love reading about what bloggers get up to :) You've been so lucky with charity shop finds, the squirrel jumper is my favourite. Have funny seeing Paul Merton, he really is quite funny :)
    R xx

    ReplyDelete
  24. I know exactly what you mean about how your tastes change and you end up back where you started! I moved to Southampton when I was 18 and loved the city life until I was desperate for a quieter life at 26 and now I live in a little house with the boyfriend by the seaside (and in the forest). Having grown up by the sea it just feels like home. You find the most amazing things in charity shops; I adore that squirrel jumper (and the fact it has a collar!) and your £2 chelsea boots are clearly purchase of the century! Oh, and I'm also a fan of a casual Smirnoff Ice, though they do make me feel 17 again!xxx

    ReplyDelete
  25. Sounds like you had an awesome time - loving the Senior Screen idea! I managed to pick up a Lush bath bomb for 50p in a Canterbury charity shop on my recent visit! (and I meant to say, thanks for the advice - The Merchant Chandler was amazing!!). And I can't believe MAC Pigments were 99p!! x

    ReplyDelete
  26. Loving all your charity shop finds! xo

    ReplyDelete
  27. Your blog is always so enjoyable to read :)
    Love your style, and you've inspired me to go charity shop shopping! I never have any luck though, do you have any tips?
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  28. My Mum and I have a couple of charity shop jaunts planned over the next few weeks.
    Yesterday it was Whitstable (note: if you want to look at shops other than charity in the 'Bubble, do NOT go on a Tuesday or Wednesday - too many are shut!). A very successful day was had by all. Slinky satin pencil skirt, and some funky button print fabric for me; a dress, velvet jacket, giant raffia bag, and the giantest ever stoneware mixing bowl ever for Mother.
    Next week's jaunt is to Tenterden. :^)

    ReplyDelete
  29. BTW - saw these and thought of you. Do they quality as 'fugly'??

    http://www.bonprix.co.uk/product/wooden-sole-courts-tan-964722/

    http://www.bonprix.co.uk/product/flower-print-desert-boots-grey-floral-966305/

    ReplyDelete
  30. Man I wish I had a week off, yours sounds like so much fun! I also I wish I had size 7 feet as well, darn those little old ladies and their miniscule feet! Finding cute shoes in thrift stores is like such a challenge. Also My Week With Marilyn was seriously such a good movie. Michelle Williams is so beautiful.

    China Lily

    ReplyDelete
  31. Looks like you've had a lovely week. The chelsea boots are amazing and I'm really jealous about you seeing the Bootleg Beatles (huge Beatles fangirl!) I saw them a couple of years ago and they're really good xx

    ReplyDelete
  32. Love your leather jacket, looks fab on you. That burger... YUMM x x

    ReplyDelete
  33. WOOOAH you've gotta be kidding me with those prices? I know where I'm going for an outing when I get some money... niiice. Love the squirrel jumper, I want!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Weiiird I saw your photo on Hayley Williams tumblr, and thought I recognised you, come across your blog today, and you're talking about bexhill, yup knew I knew you from somewhere, I went to college with you, haha :) I was in bexhill yesterday, don't think I saw you but hey if you move here I'll definitely say hi! I don't have a blogger, I'm a tumblr girl, but will keep checking your blog out

    ReplyDelete
  35. why you no buy the mac pigments??? you can use them for soooo much! :O
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  36. I can't believe you didn't buy the mac pigments! I have got to get myself down to Bexhill for some charity shop shopping! I live in Wigan and the charity shops here have some things about a fiver! *sob*
    http://theredoneblog.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  37. Gem! I've just bought an awesome charity shop find: a denim button down tunic with long sleeves and a v-neck (essentially a denim cardigan if you will). It's a size too bit and I'm not sure what to do with the sleeves, halp oh queen of charity shops & diy xxx
    P.S. Love all your finds and your pretty dresses :)
    @tobeapoet

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! ♥