29.11.11

Tuesday Tip: DIY Pom Pom Wreath!

I've seen a few different pom pom wreaths around the interweb before and decided to have a go at making my own festive variation, whilst (true to form) cutting as many corners as possible. I give you: THE EASIEST POM POM WREATH EVER MADE.


So for this uber easy take on a festive pom pom wreath, you will need: wool, scissors and a wire hanger. That's all!


- Choose the colours you want your pom poms to be (I bought green, red and cream from C&H Fabrics at about £1.50 each)

- Make pom poms! You can make them all one colour or mixed. Both of my techniques are explained in this tutorial I filmed earlier. It was a bit rushed as I wanted to get this post up before midnight, so if I'm unclear, do ask questions! The best thing to do is probably use my tutorial as a template and work out your own technique as you go along.


- Once you have made about 20, carefully untwist a wire hanger (use pliers or a boyfriend if you're struggling), bend it into a circle (I trod on mine a bit to make the corners round) and then thread the pom poms on in whichever sequence you want.


- Twist the top of the hanger back up and cover up the fugliness by wrapping some wool tightly around it. You could also use ribbon. And maybe tie a bow! Ooh I've just decided I am going to do that to mine in a bit! Because I'd wrapped the wool round the hook quite tightly, I found I didn't need to tie it off or glue it once I'd finished wrapping the hanger.


- You could also add some tinsel, bows, festive beads or LED lights (Poundland are full of them) if you fancied. 

- Hang it on your door, or alternatively on a wall or in a window if, like me, you live in a city densely populated by moronic youths who would probably steal a fantastic pom pom wreath without a second thought, 'just for lolz'.


I hope you've enjoyed this christmas idea! It really is so easy to do and has quite a magical end result. You'd never know it used to be a crappy old hanger! 

More tips coming up - gift ideas and gift wrap will be hot topics! 

Mistletoe kisses!

<3

29 comments:

  1. Ooh, i'm really tempted to make one..
    'just for the lolz' etc.. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so cool! Will definitely try this if I have time. Need something to make the flat more festive :) x

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so good! I really want to try it :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a lovely idea. It looks great! x x x

    ReplyDelete
  5. This makes me feel so Christmassy! Definitely a project for a Sunday afternoon in December!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amazing, I cannot wait to do this, I have a feeling there may be many a pom pom wreath hanging up around my home! It's so sweeet, keep up the festive tips they're so brill

    wishfulsinfulyou.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. woweeee I am so making this!!

    Or I may just be lazy and go on a wreath rampage, just for the lolz xxx

    http://glitterbomb-blog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. absolutely adorable! I need to make one! How long did it take you? i'm in awe of how cute it is and how good it looks lol!

    www.rosielizziebeth.blogspot.com
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  9. oooh you could also make a chain of them to match! to hang across the fireplace or window!

    www.rosielizziebeth.blogspot.com
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Aw, I love this! I've never known how to make a pom pom either (does that make me thick?) so it's good to see how easy it is x

    ReplyDelete
  11. totally making one of these! (i always use the lazy pom pom method too! yay!) X

    ReplyDelete
  12. This adorable! Looks much nicer than the traditional wreath!.
    -x
    http://makeupmeow.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. SO clever!! I love this-definitely will be giving this a go!! I love tuesday tips! X

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is too cute! I remember making pom poms when I was about 7 in primary school :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Uh-mazing Tip! Can't wait to make one!
    Xx

    daisychaindreams.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ooh, I like it! If I hadn't just bought a lovely pink floral wreath from a charity shop I'd definitely give it a go.

    xoxo.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Pom poms are the only things i can do in relation to craft. Definitely want to try this out :) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great DIY! May indeed have a go!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I want to do that as we don't have a wreath, ah is that cantabury you're on about, I hate kent culture. x

    ReplyDelete
  20. I would never think of anything like this :) Such a cool way of making a wreath! :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. AHH that is so cute!!!
    I want to do this so bad!

    http://daisychurchward.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. Amazing idea! I love your student tips :D

    I mentioned you in my first ever blog post as one of my inspirations here.. http://awaywiththefairies-x.blogspot.com/


    x

    ReplyDelete
  23. How cute! I remember making pom pom christmas decorations as a bubba. x hivenn

    ReplyDelete
  24. This is SUCH a great idea Gem! I am totally impatient with this kinda thing but I'm thinking even I could wrap some wool around a coat hanger! x

    ReplyDelete
  25. Cute! Thought you might like this Gem....

    http://store.iheartdropdead.com/product.php/4443/carol

    Cats galore!

    ReplyDelete
  26. That pom wreath is a great idea! I might make one next year!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! ♥