22.11.11

Tuesday Tip Digest!

Hello Darjeelings!

Sorry for the absence, I've had some stuff going on in the real world and haven't felt in the right frame of mind to be wittering on about clothes. 

Anyway, after a witter-free week, I'm back in action with a couple of tips to share from the blogosphere that I haven't had time to try just yet, but are definitely on the to-do list!

First up, this ridiculously useful idea from A Thrifty Mrs on how to organise your nail polish collection. My nail polishes are all in a floral storage box my mum got me. It's gorgeous but I have to pull every polish out individually to find the colour I want to use. Doesn't help that 80% of my collection is Models Own, which is utterly birds-eye-view-proof! 


(Images from A Thrifty Mrs)

As you can see, the trick is to apply a dot of the polish onto a sticker and - once dry - pop it on top of the corresponding bottle! Genius! 

The next tip is less everyday, but just so astoundingly cute nevertheless. I've been yearning for these Charlotte Olympia kitty flats for a while, so I was ecstatic to find this DIY tutorial on Pop Tart, which was a guest post from Kate of Scathingly Brilliant


(Images from Pop Tart)

Buy flats. Sew on the cats. Best idea ever, or what? You know I hate sewing machines (hence the zillion no-sew tips on this blog!) but I think even I can muster up a bit of hand-sewing for such a cute end result! 

Well, that's what's been inspiring me lately - have you seen or done any cute DIY's lately? 

<3

PS - More festive tips are on the way... 

25 comments:

  1. Great idea about storing nail varnishes, I really need to organise mine! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I love both of these ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE the kitty flats! Such a good idea and they look brilliant too. I'm very anti-sew but I might actually try this as they are too cute to pass up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My last DIY was sewing 12 playing card/guard costumes for the school Alice in Wonderland production. I am going to buy black flats tomorrow to make some cat shoes!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG I love those flats, deffo trying this tip!

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Saw Mrs Thrifty's tip on her blog and thought it was such a great idea. Always good to be thrifty at this time of year too. Any tips for cute homemade gifts/wrapping etc?xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I actually prefer those kitty flats to the originals, they look brilliant.

    I made myself an earring storage display recently out of a printers tray - I'm very in love with it.
    http://faithhopeandcharityshopping.blogspot.com/2011/11/printers-tray-to-earring-display.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just organised my nail polishes and couldn't tell which was which so this tip is SO handy! x

    ReplyDelete
  9. awww cute diy shoes!
    i organise my nail polish like that too! need to find a prettier display for mine though!
    Krissy xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. how clever is that nail varnish tip and how cuteee are the shoes! brill tips, looking forward to more festive ones because I am so in the mood!!

    wishfulsinfulyou.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a simple but clever idea for the nail polishes! I'm exactly the same with Models' Own ones. I'll definitely be using this tip!

    I don't share the cat obsession, but the shoes are cute :)
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. ha that is such a genius idea, so simple, makes me smack my head and think 'duh, obviously!'. The only DIY tips I can think of are updating old coats with new buttons and cutting out flower shapes out of old fabrics/lace for corsages - but you probably know these already :) x

    nakedfaun.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gem, as you well know, I wouldn't be able to fit all of my several hundred bottles in a box like that, but it's a great tip for those who are not compulsive polish hoarders *bows head in shame*. Alas, I'm now at the point where I have a separate drawer for pink/purples, blues/greens etc. Love the shoes! Xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Those shoes are so cute, but the nail polish tip is genius! It reminds me of what a lot of us mua's do with our brushes. Often we'll dip the ends, or dab a chosen colour of varnish on the side, that way when we are working shows or collaborations our brushes won't get mixed up. Very handy. :)

    http://www.rafflesbizarre.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ahhh I want cat shoes!! Love the nail polish idea.. mine are almost all models own so have exactly the same problem! great tip :)

    The Deer Head

    x

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love those cat flats! I might have to try that! x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ah, the nail varnish idea is so simple - why didn't I think of that?!

    Love the cat flats too, how cute! x

    ReplyDelete
  18. Amazing! I can't believe I haven't thought of it before!

    Eilidh

    nostalgiance.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. That's genious, going to do that with my nail polish x

    ReplyDelete
  20. I really love A Thirfty Mrs tips too, the nail polish one has been great. I have so little that it's not something I need to do just yet, but as my obsession grows, it's going to be mega useful.

    Loving the cat shoe tutorial. Addie from Cat Hag has the most gorgeous Marc Jacobs mouse shoes, going to try this to replicate those! Cheers Gem!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great tips as always Gem - loving the nail polish idea - mine are all rammed in an old big make up bag, I really muct get myself sorted. Thanks for introducing us to another couple of blogs too, awesome stuff :) x

    ReplyDelete
  22. That is such a good idea, so difficult to see what polish is which without tipping them all out over the bed!

    http://daisychurchward.tumblr.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. Such a good nail varnish idea, doing that NOW! xo

    ReplyDelete
  24. charitable giving
    Useful info. Hope to see more good posts in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  25. squidoo lens creation service
    Thanks for informative post. I am pleased sure this post has helped me save many hours of browsing other similar posts just to find what I was looking for.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! ♥