24.5.11

Tuesday Tips: More cute re(tin)vention ideas!

Howdy!

Last week's tinny tip went down so well, I thought I'd make it a tin trilogy with these little ideas! They were all photographed a few weeks ago for my uni project. The benefit of creating a book of tips for my FMP is that I now have tips ready every week rather than waking up on Tuesday and thinking 'WTF am I going to do this week?!?!' and having to ransack my cupboards for inspiration! 

The first tip is using tins to grow your own herbs, or even to keep flowers in. Some of you mentioned this one in the comments last week, so it won't be a new idea to all, but I think it's a cute one! 

Start out by bashing some holes in the bottom for drainage. You can do this using a nail and hammer, or if you don't have either of those handy, you can try my patent-pending skewer and boot technique I revealed last week!


(holez)

Write the name of the herb on the tin if necessary (I used a marker pen). Pop some soil and seeds in, or you can replant a couple of herbs that are already thriving to give them their own space. 

Leave in a sunny place and let nature do it's work!!


This next tip is a like a smaller scale version of my pretty tubs. Decorated tins are ideal for housing trinkets, makeup, coins or anything really! Well, anything small. 

Find a pretty bit of paper. Another excuse to hang onto nice wrapping paper after special occasions! 


Measure how much you'll need (can't remember exact tin measurements, oops!) and snip. 


Glue all over the outside of the tin, and wrap the paper around it, sticking it down firmly.


Here's the final product! My paper is from Paperchase (<3), by the way. 


My tin is currently housing my lippies and lipbalms!


Cheap, cute storage! My favourite kind! I think a few of these (each with different paper on, perhaps) would look so cute on a dressing table or desk for all your bits and bobs. 

What do you reckon? 

Any other tinny tips out there? May have to draw the line at creating 'telephones' with tins and string... 

<3

31 comments:

  1. Aw this is so cute! I might make one to keep my makeup brushes in. You could put the nice smelling beads they give you in lingerie stores in La Senza and then stick the brushes in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh it's adorable! Thanks for the tip.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I actually thought some kind of telephone based tin tip was coming up for a second then haha

    They look so cute. Definitely going to make some soon!

    www.dressingmissdolly.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  4. So cute! I love that paperchase paper too. Great tip Gem! x

    ReplyDelete
  5. The last tip to contain knick knacks in it is adorable! This is something I need to try for holding my make-up brushes. I'll show my mom the 1st tip because she loves to grow her own herbs! Cheers for these!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The last tip is so good - they look so adorable! Will definitely be making myself some once exam period has passed! XX

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your tips! The tin ones are so cool :) You're making me excited for being a student and having to decorate my own place..if I have a 'place' that is haha! I wish we could see your book...are you going to sell it? xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ohh so simple but so effective. Cute paper really is the key, I will be trying this. Thank you! xx

    http://crapatart.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've been trying to figure out how to turn cans into unopenable (?) change pots, no idea how I'd make the slot and empty (and clean!) the can without opening it though xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awwww, those are lovely. once we have our own place and don´t need to move every year, I´m deffo going to take some inspiration from your tips:) x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Aww haha I remember doing something similar with an Ale tin thing when I was younger, only I painted a watercolour sea setting with various sea creatures (eels, crabs, octopusses [octopi??] etc!) It was cute. And a little bit weird. I used it as a pencil case haha xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. We thought last weeks tip was good! This weeks is even better with the herb tins, we are going immediately to the recycling bin to pull out our used cans, or eat sweet-corn every lunch time until June x

    ReplyDelete
  13. so creative! my favourite post :)

    www.foreversweet89.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. love the herb idea! will be trying this one out. i also cover my old tins in fabric and use them to store pens and bits xx
    Ella @ Belle Vintage

    ReplyDelete
  15. Genius idea! Paperchase have the best wrapping paper, I definitely need to get crafty and try this out!

    ReplyDelete
  16. You so clever. hope the knock-off content has been removed!

    Helen, X
    http://areyoudressingupordressingdown.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Awhh! These are really really cute, am definitely going to be eating a lot of soup and beans this week so that I can make some of these ideas :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Just caught up on all your recent posts as I was away last week. This week's and last weeks tin tips are brilliant! I love the lanterns especially - so cute! x

    ReplyDelete
  19. how do you make the tops of the tins blunt? am so accident prone would deffo slice my hand or something!

    ReplyDelete
  20. aw i love the flower pot idea, they'd look so cute on the windowsill :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Cool, i made one years ago from a mini pringles pot

    http://merlinswands.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  22. That's such a good idea! I think you may have to finally inspired me to grow some of my own herbs! The pretty wrapping paper pots would also be a really good way of tidying up my makeup drawer. xxx

    http://onething-everything.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  23. i love all of these ideas! i was planning on making a few of the tin lanterns for my bedroom window ledge, and now i'm going to make a few little tin holders for my make up brushes and other bits and bobs. my room will be full of tins before long! xx

    ReplyDelete
  24. That's cool!
    I tried to do something like that for my mom for mothers day. Well it's confirmed my artistic ability is sadly limited.

    ReplyDelete
  25. oh i love the second one... i'll have to try that...
    you've got some beautiful wrapping paper by the way
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  26. *runs off to get all the tins out of recycling*

    ReplyDelete
  27. So cute, would look so cute in my room with spare wallpaper!

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  28. Love the paper on the tin :)
    I recently decided I was sick of my jewellery and makeup having no home so I grabbed a couple of old shoe boxes and wrapped them in some wall paper samples we had, then filled them with tissue paper.
    That way I had pretty boxes for my bangles and makeup :)

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  29. i went to a bar called graphic in london that served cocktails in paint cans..
    reckon you could drink dirty martinis from a recycled tin?

    http://goldielondon.blogspot.com/2011/05/gracing-rooftopsis-our-new-styling_26.html

    ReplyDelete
  30. Tin tips! Another beaut from you there :)

    The 'patent pending' and 'holez' also made me get the lolz, perhaps you should be a fashion comedian? :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! ♥