8.3.11

Shrove Tuesday tips: Kitchen Cosmetics

Happy pancake day!! 

In the spirit of Shrove Tuesday, today's tips are dedicated to the only pancake topping for me. Lemon and Sugar. Use your leftover lemons (or bottled lemon juice like moi) to try out some of these cheapie, natural beauty ideas! 


Lemon and sugar have a multitude of beauty uses. Sugar is great for exfoliating and softening, and the acidity of lemons make them perfect for cutting through grease to remove impurities as well as lightening skin discolouration. 


Here's what all the cool kids are doing with lemons and sugar: 


Face scrub - Lemon juice and sugar makes an amazing natural facial exfoliator. I've used this myself in the past, but I found this bizarre video tutorial on Youtube for it that I'm going to credit just in case you need some lolz. It features quite literally the most annoying video editing I've ever seen, but actually gets quite educational towards the end. And if that lady's skin is an advert for this scrub, I will be doing it every week until I die! 

Just apply lemon juice and some sugar to a cotton pad and scrub away for a couple of minuten! The lemon helps the sugar to remove dead skin and leaves your skin crazily soft! Apply lots of moisturiser afterwards.


Body scrub - Same as above, but on a grander scale! It's probably best to premix the lemon and sugar in a bowl before you hop in the shower in this scenario, rather than use cotton pads! Apparently this can be quite effective in smoothing fading the appearance of Keratosis Pilaris (dreaded chicken skin on the arms/bod) so I will be trying it out on my bingo wings stat. This scrub is apparently also a dream at removing fake tan if you've gone a bit orange! Can't vouch for that one, as I'm as pasty as they come. (Credit)


Lip scrub - As above! Apply lots of lip balm after! Bored of scrubs? Let's move on. 


Nail Whitener - If you've forgotten (or can't be arsed) to use a basecoat before painting nail and have unsightly yellow tinged nails, soak them in lemon juice for 5 minutes for gleaming white nails! 


Ombre hair in Summer - Lemon juice works like that Sun In stuff that I applied to my hair every day for a week to try and bleach it when I was 13 (it turned a sickly orange colour...) Apply lemon juice to the hair in strands (for highlights) or on the ends (for an ombre effect) and get out in the sunshine for a while. The UV Rays will react with the lemon and lighten the hair. 


Shiny hair - Mixing the juice of 1 lemon (Or a long squirt from the bottle of lemon juice!) with 2 cups of water and rinsing through your hair after washing it will make it shine and remove excess oils. Rinse it off after about 5 minutes. (Credit)


Unshiny skin - Wipe some onto your face with a cotton pad and rinse after 5 minutes to reduce oily skin. This also fades the appearance of age spots, uneven skin tone and freckles if used regularly. (Credit)

I'm off to feast on Aunt Bessie's pancakes. Let me know if you try any of these tips and if they work for you!

Have you got any tips from the kitchen cupboard to share? 

Also, what are you guys giving up for lent (if anything?) I'm thinking of giving up sugary stuff. Besides my coffee. I need 3 sugars at least to be able to swallow that stuff!



Ps - here's the first instalment of Kitchen Cosmetics! 

41 comments:

  1. I love the lemon juice that comes in a lemon shape bottle!
    I used to always put lemon in my hair when I was on holiday and it definitely made it lighter.
    Great tips!
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll have to try the facial scrub! I've been meaning to buy one but I'll definitely give this a go first haha :). Love this post x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so going try some of these! Thanks for the tips :)
    x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have just watched the video and she does seem a little bit crazy hehe! Her skin looked fab though so i'll definitely be trying out the face scrub and all your other tips too :)
    Rachelle xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. i definitely need to try the facial scrub! thank you for the tips! x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooofh, very handy ;) I might try a few of these out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. haha you are so funny. love these tips. some might say they are tip top? these better work, i'll report back. xo.
    gh0stparties.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. OOH you can actually make hair removal wax from sugar and lemon! You just combine 2 cups of sugar 1/4 cup water 1/4 cup lime/lemon juice in a pan until it goes a golden brown colour (i think its suppose to reach 250F if I can remember) and you have wax!
    Chaz x

    ReplyDelete
  9. OO these are amazing tips, thank you. I will definitely be trying the face scrub!
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. i am obsessed with lemon! lemon tastes, smells, everything! ahaha!
    great tips (: might try leaving some lemon juice on the ends of my hair!
    Krissy xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  11. I absolutely must try that tip with the lemon juice on the face, because my face is not only shiny it's really red on my cheeks and I've got so many freckles at the minute! Although I read on that website that how much sugar you eat affects how many freckles you have... I have been eating a lot of chocolate lately :( I should give it up for Lent but I have a dissertation to do in that time and I think it will just be too hard without it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You have the most amazing tips ever!!
    <3

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ooh, I definitely want to try the ombre hair one in the summer!

    Rosie x

    ReplyDelete
  14. thank-you so much for this! i've been looking everywhere for a face scrub that's cheap and i can use the ingredients in my house for xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. lol love this post....these tips are son handy, dunno why i never thought of it? :)

    Xisses, Onyxsta

    http://say-bleurgh.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  16. great tips gem! I might try the face scrub

    ReplyDelete
  17. i read this and watched the video (yeah she is abit annoying) but it really does work! ive just done it, its left my face abit red but it's soo smooth! thankyouu xxx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lemon juice mixed with bicard of soda makes an ok emergency shampoo if you've run completely out of it, just be sure to rinse like crazy when you're done!
    I like the tip about using it to whiten nails, very useful!

    ReplyDelete
  19. All worth trying, but I think lemon and sugar are still best on pancakes!

    K xx

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks for this, I'm gonna try it tomorrow, I'm not too sure haha. Imagine the sting if it gets in your eyes? :|


    http://fridayisforever.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  21. I never realised how useful lemons are... great tips! I am definitely trying the face scrub xx

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love some of your ideas! Definitely going to use up leftover lemons from today trying some of them out! Here's another DIY beauty tip:
    Put a handful of oats into some cold water and leave them to stand for half an hour. Then sieve the oats giving them a good squeeze as you do and then you're left with the colloidal milk which you apply straight to the skin with cotton wool. I've tried this and it has such a nice soothing effect! Really good for skin irritations!

    http://regulardandy.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh I absolutely love this post. What better than to use up the rest of the pancake ingredients? Brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  24. i loved that youtube video!
    my top tip for using lemon juice is that it removes those pesky stains on your skin from hairdye.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Bloody hell I never knew lemons were such miracle beauty ingredients ha! I knew it reacts with hair in crazy ways but I hadn't heard of a skin treatment... and I suffer quite often with oily skin so I'll be trying this out (I swear by the perfecting minerals powder you recommended the once, I am in debt to you of my face ha) jazzy ♥

    ReplyDelete
  26. lemon juice is fab for minimising pores after steaming your face! stings like a bitch for a bit but works.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Wow thanks for these tips they are great I'm going to give some of them a go :) xo

    ReplyDelete
  28. I just gave the facial scrub a try, it's definitely a lot milder than my usual face scrub on an exfoliating glove so I think I've been converted!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I know that this is really not the point, but yes, lemon and sugar on pancakes is the only way to go. If im really desperate I might go lime and sugar...but its just not the same :(

    M - Even Artichokes Have Hearts ♥

    ReplyDelete
  30. Great tips Gem! I actually watched Snog Marry Avoid last night (LOL) and Jenny Frost showed the viewers how to make your own wax! 1 cup of sugar and half a cup of lemon juice and water in equal measures... put it on the hob, heat it up, cool it down so it's nice and warm to put on your skin but not cold and then cut some cloth (she seemed to just use your average piece of material) and wax away. She said it worked but I'm a little dubious...

    ReplyDelete
  31. I am definitely a lemon and sugar pancake girl too. Using lemon to whiten nails sounds like a great idea. I never have time for a base coat.The face and body scrubs sound good too, might have to give these a try.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Great tips! I fancy trying the face scrub... :)

    ReplyDelete
  33. wow i had no idea you could so so much stuff with just sugar and lemon, will def be trying some of those tips out!!
    x

    ReplyDelete
  34. Sugar/salt, honey and bit of olive oil is a really good body scrub. Can get a bit slippy in the shower with the olive oil though!

    Claire
    x
    http://treblesandamixer.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  35. Some great tips! I love the face scrub idea!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Some really great tips and beauty secrets, who knew lemon could be so versatile and so good for you!
    I completely adore your blog, following now :)

    ReplyDelete
  37. haha such a coincedence that literally 10 minutes ago i asked Ben - we have so much lemon juice left - what the hell we gonna do with it ?!

    Lifesaver Gem - thankyou

    ReplyDelete
  38. I will try some of these ideas, love your tuesday tips x

    ReplyDelete
  39. That woman is crazy! But I am sooo trying this. ; D

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! ♥