6.7.10

Tuesday tip - A bunch of cheap Nail ideas!


Hi gang!

Loving all your entries for the Tesco competition, you are going to make it very difficult for me to choose a winner!

For this week's Tuesday tip, I wanted to share three new dirt cheap nail ideas I've come across lately. Here's my hand after today's experimentation:




First up, a slightly messy but fun glitter nails tutorial! You'll need any old glitter and a cheap topcoat (or one you don't mind potentially getting bits of glitter in!)

[EDIT: The glitter is a bit of a bitch to remove, but it's worth it for the bling!]



For purely glitter nails:

Do a base coat, shake lots of glitter on your nail. Gently squish it down so it sticks to the base coat and tap off the excess glitter. Tidy the edges up with a cotton bud as the glitter sticks to your skin a bit (especially if you put hand cream on before hand, as I learned!) Pop some topcoat on and leave to dry!




For coloured glitter nails, repeat above but instead of a basecoat, do a base of the coloured nail varnish you fancy. Put a topcoat on that once it's dry, and add the glitter and another topcoat to seal it in.




Fimo Fruit Nails

OMG. Fruity nails!! I was stunned when I found out about Fimo 'nail slices' when Selina of Flying Saucer posted about the awesome Tumblr, Fuck Yeah Pretty Nails. Basically, they come from clay canes which are a bit like sticks of rock, with a pattern running all the way through, and you can either buy them like that and cut off your own slices, or buy them pre-sliced like I did.






Wah nails use them (see here and here!) and I was amazed to find 500 slices on eBay (buy them here!) for less than £3 including P&P! Even though they came all the way from HK, they arrived within a week and they'd thrown in a pack of 100 cute character slices too (rabbits/cats etc). I definitely recommend getting some because they make you feel super happy. Plus, if your diet is anything like mine, it's good to feel like you're doing something to get your 5-a-day!

To apply them, you literally just stick them onto your base nail colour or plain basecoat and then do a topcoat over the top.

Stripey nails

I have been wanting to try stripey nails lately, and bought a set of cheap nail art pens on eBay seeing as they're like £4.99 each in Sally's. Most nail art pens can be used either like an actual pen for detail by taking the cap off, or for striping effects by unscrewing the top of the pen. I got 12 pens for about £6.50 inc p&p but they were 60% crap (the brushes kept falling out) so the seller (here, FYI) refunded me but I got to keep them anyway! I have since ordered some better quality 'Nail Star' ones (about £7.50 for 12) which should arrive very soon! Will update!




So, with the nail pens that did work, it was incredibly easy to create striped nails - on both hands! A really quick and easy (and not too expensive) way to jazz up your nails. Here's a nail I did earlier!



And that wraps up my latest nail forays, and probably the last nail-related Tuesday tip in a while because I have lots of cool other ideas in the pipeline, and don't want to seem like a one trick pony!

Off to Tesco for snacks for Big Brother now! :D

xx

43 comments:

  1. woah Gem, you're like a nail art MACHINE. Deffo getting some of those fimo slices once I've grown my nails a bit, they're so cool!! You're so talented :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love nail art so much! the fruit looks amazing! will definately have to buy some! My nails are currently painted like strawberries! May have to put a picture on my blog (www.stylegoddesses.blogspot.com) Great tip! Hope the new pens arrive soon and work well! Millie xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I DO hope you kept all these different nails and then went to Tesco with them! How wonderful would that be?!

    I love the thought of fruity nails. Anything to help me get my 5 a day without actually consuming fruit or veg. And if they make you happy - why not?! :) x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how you give us THREE WHOLE IDEAS in one post. Makes us feel privileged lmao

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the glittery nails and fruity nails!! Me and my friend did red and white stripey nails when we dressed up as 'Where's Wally' :)
    xxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I so badly want fruity nails!

    My kids at school already think I'm weird, just for having different colour nails every week - imagine if I had fruity nails! AMAZING. In fact, I may need to go & look at that right now..!

    Thanks for the tips - brilliant as always :)

    www.heart-shaped-bruise.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. forget going for that job in paper chase, if WAH are ever hiring, you have 464 follower references! :op xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fab!!! I love the pale glitter ones and the fruit nails are adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love how the fimo nail things "make you feel super happy", that made me laugh a bit. I googled them after you tweeted about them and you're right, I was amazed! x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Adorable! Love the designs. I've played around with nail art for the first time today. So much fun! :).

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is an amazinggg post. I think I'm going to get me some fruit too jazz up my nails. Thanks again for some great tips! xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. your nails are actually amazing!! thanks so much for sharing this, i will DEFINATALY be trying it out!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. those glitter nails look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the glitter nails; they look sugary like sugar cookies! I also dig the nail slices, if only because of how they're made.

    Sounds like your nails are recovering from the looks of this post; how are they faring?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the glitter nails. I think I will give these and possibly the fruit nails a try. The striped nail look good but perhaps a little too fiddly for me.

    ReplyDelete
  16. - is the glitter hard to take off?

    - those fruity things are too cute!

    - i did the exact same mint base & white stripe on my nail a while ago. Love the look; am going to try it with pale pink soon à la candystriper.

    Leia's Delights

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love them all! Especially the stripes, though.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Eek - Fimo?! I LOVE Fimo! And how deeply amazing is that picture of all the fruit and veg sticks?

    ReplyDelete
  19. FRUITY NAILS <3 I just fell in love with your blog and Tuesday Tips a little bit more! Will definitely be trying one of these tutorials out soon :) x

    ReplyDelete
  20. hi ive seen a lot of these beofre on leias delights!
    btw if you pour glitter over your nails it'll be really messy, a better idea is to pour some glitter onto a tissue or paper, put your base coat on and then gently press your nail onto the glitter.

    ReplyDelete
  21. the fruity nails are the cutest thing ever! love it!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh my, FRUITY NAILS! I love them!

    Oo, ouch on the hazourdous fringe thing. It's hard, painful work having such nice hair. Haha :)

    X

    ReplyDelete
  23. Gem, I now NEED fruity, stripy AND glittery nails in my life!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I'm literally already on eBay looking at fruit slices and nail arts brushes and all kinds of other crazy stuff! There are just so many possibilities!

    You know, I went to London a couple of weeks back and did the leopard print affect for some of my friends and they've all said how many people have commented on them and even asked if I was still around so that they could pay me to do theirs! I'm telling you, this nail art stuff could be quite lucrative! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  25. I need to get myself some glitter!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Haha oh my god, these are all bloody awesome! You're definately queen of funky nails :) Loves it! Thank you for the lovely comments on my last posts, I cant believe you didnt get a good grade on your HOH video. What the fuck?! Just doesnt make sense eh. I hope you didnt let them get to you as much as I let my lecturers get to me. Its hard not to eh twinnie? :p hope youve had a good week so far! xx

    ReplyDelete
  27. Ah i just discovered your blog yesterday, I did leopard print nails this morning - I'd been wanting some since i saw them on WAH but when they told me it would be nearly thirty quid just for some nail paint i thought it would have to stay a distant dream. But, thanks to you I realised how easy it is! And i've just ordered a bunch of the fimo slices! x

    ReplyDelete
  28. wow they are all so cool! those fruit ones are so cute, i ADORE things with fruit on xxx great blog

    ReplyDelete
  29. Loving the glittered ones! And never thought of actually using Fimo canes on nails before :)

    MJ x
    Mozzypop Jewels blog!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Cool blog! I love all these nail tips, especially the glitter nails, even though they say that glitter is the herpes of craft supplies and I'll probably have it in my carpet for the rest of my life :)

    Colleen
    Coocoo for Coco

    ReplyDelete
  31. Oh my gosh, I love the fruit!! Perfect if you were going on a picnic!
    http://lovelylacquers.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  32. Love the glitter nails, great tutorial! xXx

    ReplyDelete
  33. Scrap being a blogger, why not become a nail technician? Heheh. I love the sliced bits of fimo fruit. Ive seen them before, but not on nails - I would've thought they'd be too thick to use? I'm not sure I'd have much luck with those as I always mess up my nail varnish when I do it too thick, but might give it a go! Definitely going to try the glitter ones. I remember a girl at school had really glittery nails like that and she swore it was just nail varnish (yeaahhh right) X

    ReplyDelete
  34. WOW those fruity nails are so cool, they are fab for summer x

    ReplyDelete
  35. wow your nail ideas are amaizng! who'd have thought glitterr!! i'd never know how to wear them though! i need inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Really nice. Unique. :)In case you haven't entered, I'm having a new giveaway:
    http://susies1955.blogspot.com/2010/06/enter-my-kiss-giveaway.html
    Susie
    I am so addicted to polish.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Awe, this is so cute! I haven't seen this in Argentina.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  38. fimo looks marvellous!! will definitely look into it. at work almost all the girls have fake nails and customers mention them all the time, i think it's a contest to see who has the best! i want to gem mine up.

    ReplyDelete
  39. I just tried making myself those slices, but it didn't go so well.
    I made Fimo vampire fangs too, though, and they looked good! :)

    MB
    mebefuzzled.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  40. omg i love all of these.
    i read selina's nail posts with super awe, but i NEED some nail art pens, so will wait and see what yours turn out like ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! ♥