22.6.10

Tuesday tip: Confetti your claws!


The gods were not smiling on today's tip at all. I wanted to see if you could use glittery confetti as nail art accessories. My friend Jen & I went into town and bought some 99p packs of heart and star shaped confetti in the cheapie card shop, and came home, full of wonder of what we might create!

The tools:



Jen's nails went quite well. She put some delicate little stars on her Models Own Purple Grey coated nails. And stuck a pearlescent heart on her thumb for good measure!



Mine on the other hand... I just couldn't get anything right today. Whenever I stuck any stars on, I'd smudge the nail polish, and when I'd finally stuck some little red hearts on perfectly, I put a topcoat on and it took the paint off the confetti and turned my nail into a blurry red mess. I tried to do some Tiger print nails as a last ditch nail effort, but it was a disaster. I decided to give up and we went to Wetherspoons for dinner to feed my sorrows!

Jen went home and just as I was trying to think up a new tip that I could do in about an hour (Boyfriend time starts at 10pm sharp, after the world cup games!) I just thought I'd give my confetti nails one more shot with renewed vigour after my hearty BBQ Chicken feast!

I decided on a statement starry thumb, on a base of Topshop Rose Royce nailpolish. I carefully popped the stars on using tweezers, and this time round, it went really well! I think I must've been a bit sunstruck earlier or something. After a couple of coats of topcoat to seal the stars it, I was all done! The pictures don't do it justice, as the mixture of foil and pearlescent stars catch the light so much more than it looks in the pics. A total blingfest! And only using about 1/1000th of the pack of stars! A lot cheaper than nail stickers! And of course, a bit more imaginative!





So... A bit of a failure of a Tuesday tip this week because I spent so long buggering it up. But I'm adamant it's a good tip and I recommend it! I'm sure you're less cack-handed than me. Jen did hers on the first go!

Good luck if you do try it! Email any pictures to contact@gemfatale.co.uk!

38 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good choice! I was thinking about doing this with glitter and just dipping a wet nail in a pot of glitter... Might have to try it now!

    tweet tweet tweet

    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks so much fun! I want to try it now. And glad it worked in the end :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. your nails look beautiful! and i love clare's idea up above. oh how i long for pretty nails, i just can't help but pick them!

    love, jazzabelle. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. your starrrry nails look fab, i wish i had your patience! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the comments guys!

    Clare, I was totally going to give that a go aswell, but then I figured you'd get loads of glitter in your topcoat, wouldn't you? If you can think of a solution, let me know, I really want it to work!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice nails, the stars look gorge! I would probably put my clear nail-varnished nail into the bag of decos :) x

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow, they look amazing! i remember doing this as a young girl, if i could do it then surely i will be capable now... so so cute.

    X

    ReplyDelete
  9. Pretty nails! Glad you persisted.

    I have mint choc chip on mine, but after launching a load over the dining room table I'm slightly nervous about doing my nails. :(

    X x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well done for perservering! They look fab, makes me want to bling up my nails!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are so creative with your nails! I love how the stars turned out.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great tips, your nails look fab! I'm definitely going to try something similar although I'm not sure I have the patience.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh wow, they look fab! I'm so gunna try this myself, i'm annoyed because where i work, in a kitchen, we can't have our nails painted but it's my week off next week so glittery nails here i come!

    Stacey xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. So cute - I'll give it a go!

    Lou x - craftyandquirky.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is a great idea, I really like it on just one nail so it's not too overpowering. Will have to try this out soon!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is great, I'll definitely try it! I've just started my blog, and would love some feedback about what I could improve, or some adivice- if anyone has a chance to have a look and let me know your thoughts, I would really appreciate it, thankyou!

    talkingtoeveryone.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. LOVE these nails! I'm not a massive fan of crazy nail art and usually prefer something more subtle, so this is perfect. Just a touch of sparkle and oh-so cute! x

    ReplyDelete
  18. that thumb looks amazing! the only thing with using them is that the edges would probably catch on things and annoy me haha.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This looks great (although fiddly..!?) - Good idea & right up my street, being that I'm desperate to try & be a bit more creative, but don't want to spend much (or put much effort in..) in case it all turns out rubbish & I never do it again - because I'm a: cheap & b: lazy..

    www.heart-shaped-bruise.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love nail art on other people, just not on me. I don't know why, maybe because it looks so beautiful on you and then I just cack it up?! :P

    Maria xxx

    ReplyDelete
  21. Gem, I always have a severe nail-lust whenever I see your latest creations. These are fantastic and I am shamelessly going to admit that I'll be copying this idea at some point soon! I also saw a tutorial for magazine clipping nails with words from newspapers etc... might have to try both out :) Hope you're enjoying the sunshine lovey!

    Claire @ Jazzpad

    ReplyDelete
  22. Cool idea and so pretty too. I wish I could wear nail varnish on a more regular basis but I'm not allowed for work and I seem to be working an awful lot at the moment. The shade you used for your final shots with the stars on is lovely :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh, the pink starry thumb is wonderful! Go you for powering on.

    ReplyDelete
  24. great idea! the stars look fab! if i try to do any kind of nail art on my nails, they turn out so badly!!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  25. Cool idea man. I love your tuesday tips more and more. x

    ReplyDelete
  26. Verrrry cute!
    I love your blog!

    xx

    http://secondtimeover.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love how it's so girly with the pink and sparkles, but it's got a bit of oomph too. I've done it with heart confetti for Valentine's Day before.

    I got a nice new colour from OPI in the post today, so I think I might try something like this out with that!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Really loving it.
    NICE.
    Oh and I don't know if you have entered my giveaway but I'm only 17 followers from drawing the winner if you are interested in entering. :)
    http://susies1955.blogspot.com/2010/06/please-enter-my-giveaway-o.html
    Susie

    ReplyDelete
  29. I hope you didn't have any microwaved wethermeat lol, after working there I cant eat the food anymore

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  30. oooo v inspiring tip! i got a mini kit with little sparkly stuff like this from poundland and it was with an orange stick, i recommend for nail art! i wasn't sure what to do but i love your idea of just one nail!xx

    ReplyDelete
  31. I am very happy to read this. This is the kind of manual that needs to be given and not the random misinformation t hat's at the other blogs. Appreciate your sharing this best posting.
    Indobd.com
    www.indobd.com
    Indobd
    Indobd.com
    www.indobd.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! ♥