6.6.10

Birthday times! [word heavy, image heavier!]


I think this year was my favourite birthday in a long time. I decided to scrap the 'big day out' idea and kept it simple. I went out for dinner and [strong] drinks with friends the night before which was really good fun, but just wanted a nice quiet one with Alex on my actual birthday.

We got up at 10ish and did presents. Alex knows I hate surprises but insists each year that one of my presents never arrived in the post right up until we're going out (and I'm a bit pissed off), then he'll spring the gift on me. It's actually quite hard to shake the annoyed mood off even when the basis of the mood has been proven a hoax and you have the gift in front of you! This year was no different, and I was eventually greeted with a lovely little Samsung digital camera (black, not silver like the one on the box)!! I'm ecstatic with it and hope it means I can do better posts on here because it's about a third of the size of my current camera, so I can take it everywhere with me and get lots of nice pics.



My other pressies were a £55 giftcard for Urban Outfitters from my uni girls (eep!), a cute vintage style clock from Alex's parents (who also gave me a very generous gift which means I can stop harrassing Paperchase to employ me this summer... ♥), a bulk pack of japanese fake lashes from my sister Shannon (spot on!), a gorgeous Ikea heart shaped mirror from my brother Jon, and money from my mum and other relatives. Perfect gifts that I will use all the time. That's how presents should be! Quality > quantity!

We walked to the bus stop to spend the day mooching around a nearby seaside town called Whitstable, which I've only been to once but LOVED. We missed our bus (typical!) but spent the hour wait in Starbucks, where I finally tried a Frappuccino... Lovely but very filling!



We spent the day wandering round all the lovely little shops Whitstable has to offer (including numerous charity shops).



I found a real gem of a shop called Frank. In its own words, Frank is 'a space for British designers and makers selling handmade products, craft, decorative pieces and artworks'. Basically, imagine Etsy but in real life. I found some Gemma Correll badge packs which was a lovely surprise! I bought myself the pug badge set (I feel an affinity with him since he graced the cover of my magazine!) I didn't want to leave the shop, and will definitely be going back for more.









I also liked the shop next door to it, What's Up Cupcake. The lady didn't want me to take any photos inside, but it really was a tasty treat of a shop! I'm not mad about cupcakes themselves, but this shop was rather special. They sell cupcakes, but also sell everything thats cupcake themed. And I mean everything! I picked up cupcake flavour hand wipes, and cupcake nail varnish remover pads! Madness! They have a site, but I think you need to go to the shop itself for all of the random cakey gifts.

We also found an amazing bookshop, Harbour Books, which had many bargains in it! It wasn't your average Waterstones affair, it was a charming old building with lots of little rooms round corners, stocking not only books but cards, wrapping paper and diaries. Alex bought lots in this shop and found a really cool edition of George Orwell's Animal Farm for about a fiver.





I had some good charity shop luck and bought some really lovely Miss Selfridge shorts (not too bummy) and a patchwork 'leather' bag for under a fiver. Also, Alex found me some gorgeous little lace-ups in the men's section of one of the shops for £3.50. I like lace-ups that aren't overly brogue-y, if that makes any sense at all.



For lunch we sat on the beach in the glorious sunshine and had some fish and chips and Cream Soda. There was a lovely vintage shop right on the beach which was cool, but the lady wanted £50 for some vintage Clark's shoes so I promptly vomited in my mouth and then left. Afterwards, we wandered around looking at the gorgeous beach huts (they were more like studio apartments!), got a bit lost and strolled round the neighbourhood before hopping on the bus back home.








(Here are my purchases from the little shops. Can't remember where the Dinosaur cake cases came from but for £1.25 I had to have them!)



We got home and had a snooze (a bit sunstruck, perhaps!) before ordering a nice greasy Dominos feast! Half Pepperoni Passion (Alex), half Texas BBQ (moi)! + a bunch or Chicken thingies.



Then our little tradition... Walking to Tesco in town to get some treats! I bought M&M's but only ate about 3 because I was so full up. Alex took an outfit picture of me wearing my new purchases (nothing like a trip to 'Sco to get your favourite outfit on!) but I think he needs to get to grips with the new camera a little better... :)



Finally, we sat down to finally watch Youth In Revolt, but the sound quality was a joke. That's what you get for downloading illegally! So we plumped for Come Dine With Me, which suited me even better if I'm quite honest.

So that was my 23rd birthday! Lovely jubbly. It's not over yet though, I have a day trip to Dover Castle with my friend Jen on Tuesday and a 'surprise' day out with my friend Emily on Wednesday, so the celebrations are rolling on just a bit longer!

So that's that! Such a wonderful day. We totally fell in love with Whitstable and I definitely want to raise my babies and/or kittens there in the future. The photos aren't perfect, I'm still learning a lot about the settings on my new cam, but I'm looking forward to taking more photos of my shenanigans. Don't worry, I'm not gonna go all Rumi on your ass. One or two outfit photos will still suffice, I'll just be taking more photos outside of my flat as I do have a life outside of my landing!

I think I'm all typed out... Back tomorrow for a hopefully shorter post! ♥

30 comments:

  1. awwww, your birthday sounded MUCHOS fabulousness! SO glad you had a marvy day, loved your outfit and the great pics of the things you saw! :D xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you had such a wonderful birthday! :) I think I might pop to Whistable and see if I can put some of my handmade goodies in that shop.. ;) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was an awesome post for an awesome day, mademoiselle ! Lovely pictures--and I got to see Alex at long last--and I'm a bit jealous at your country's transit system, too. :P

    And I love your patchwork bag; reminds me of a sandstone walkway... oui.

    Joyeux 23ème anniversaire, Gem ! Big hugs ! xoxoxoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. great post, love the vintage clock! your outfit is amazing too and oo the shops look fantastic!! happy birthday :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like an amazing birthday :)

    Great presents - £55 to spend in Urban Outfitters?! Yes please!

    I seriously now want to go on a trip to Whitstable (even though I've got no idea where it is) JUST so I can go to 'Frank' - looks like the most brilliant shop ever!

    I haven't had pizza for about 2 months now (bloody diet..!) but my God what I would do for a Texas BBQ Dominos right now.. yum!

    Ok, I'm off now as I feel a bit like I've been stalking you recently (I'm not btw, I just feel the need to leave you really long comments!)..

    www.heart-shaped-bruise.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh your birthday sounded magical! that's what I like, a nice and simple day with the people you care about.

    And I don't think I've ever seen a picture of your boyf since reading your blog... I hope it's not innapropriate to say he's really hot! Haha!

    I'll be in London for a few months later in the year, we should meet up some time if you're in town! I'd love to meet you!

    <3<3<3

    ReplyDelete
  7. Definitely a wizard win of a birthday! Love the outfit you wore on your Tesco run!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aw dude, sounds like you had such a cosy little birthday :) Those shops are super cute, and I wish I lived nearer the seaside! You and your fella look lovely together! Haha, I always get dominoes texas bbq, its absolutely epic :) but david thinks the bbq sauce is too much so he just gets something boring on his half. wimp :P xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. You're the best! I'm so sorry I haven't said it sooner - but HAPPY BIRTHDAY YOU GOORRRGEEOUS THANG!! So glad you had a good one (it looks like the perfect set up for a birthday). I really wish the cupcake woman had let you take photos... now I'm all curious (maybe that was her plan... to entice people with a bit of mystery)! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy birthaday!
    Whitstable seems lovely! I miss the whole English village atmaosphere. I used to live in Chorlton in Mcr and it reminds me of it a bit!

    Love your blog xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yeah, Frank is an incredible shop! My friend brought a belt made out of old drinks cartons last time we went in there!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy birthday! looks like you had a wonderful daycxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. this sounds like the perfect day to me! hope you had a lovely day and happy birthday also :)
    x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds like such a fab day :)

    Those two shops look amazing! I adore eclectic little places like that and seasidey towns always seem to have them in abundance.

    ps - Texas BBQ Dominos, nom nom nom!

    ReplyDelete
  15. love all the photos Gem, especially Frank. Whitstable looks like a lush daytrip!
    www.lovefashionlondon.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sounds like such a lovely birthday! So many great photos in this post!

    I love frappachinos! They are filling though- I usually have one and it counts as my lunch! x

    ReplyDelete
  17. love your blog! i used to live and vacation in canterbury so all the pics of whitstable made me uber nostalgic and envious : )

    ReplyDelete
  18. wow love this post!, nice photos, looks you have a great birthday, many activities everyone perfect!

    www.likeblackorchid.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Such a lovely post - I love hearing how people spend their birthdays! You look adorable in your charity shop buys. I'm exactly the same - I cannot wait to wear what I've found! :)

    So glad you had such a lovely birthday. xx

    ReplyDelete
  20. looks like such a lovely day! i'm excited for my birthday now which is in a month :) hehe

    ReplyDelete
  21. Sounds like you had a fab day, lucky girly with those great birthday gifts! I think I need to track down some cute cupcake cases after seeing your dino ones!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. this sure is one image/word heavy post, must have taken you ages. seems like to had a super time, noice shoes too!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love Whitstable! I like the little shop with the Rob Ryan things in too :)

    tweet tweet tweet

    x

    ReplyDelete
  24. whitstable looks lush! I've never been there but I would love to visit!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love the shop frank! i go there whenever i go to whistable x i actually love it. It was kind of weird because i recognise all of the places where you took photos !

    ReplyDelete
  26. awww what a lovely day!! love to hear about all your cute routines and habits, and liking the new camera photos! my birthday's in august and everyone is badgering me about huge dos and parties but i'm hoping to have a stress free, beachy day like yours!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Omg this place looks AMAZING! i really want to go :) x

    ReplyDelete
  28. Oh wow, I adore Whitstable. My good friend lives in Tankerton which is just a ten minute walk from Whitstable and we always walk in, look in the charity shops, buy sweets from the lush sweet shop, go into Frank (one of my fave shops there) and then always look in the cupcake shop window!
    We try to go there twice a year and I loved Vintage On Sea. Didn't think it was that expensive - I tried on a fab 50s dress but alas it was too small. The lady who runs it is great, god knows who she manages it as she has kids too.
    Glad I found your blog, it's a great read!
    The ice creams that are sold round the corner from Vintage on Sea are humungous by the way. x

    ReplyDelete
  29. loving the dinosaur cake and the charity shop discovery ! greetings from Scotland stylishme.co.uk

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! ♥