4.5.10

Tuesday tip: Shop outside the box!


I had intended to do a DIY tip today, but it didn't quite work out, so instead, I'd like to share with you a couple of unlikely places I've found amazing bargains.

These are probably common sense to some of you, but were a revelation to me, so maybe some of you will find them helpful! Feel free to comment with similar shop suggestions of your own, I may add them to this post!

First up are the super cheap shoe shops, which are generally dog shit but have a couple of little gems if you're brave enough to get past the backless loafers and plastic school shoes. My favourite shoes to buy here are plimsolls. You know the little ones you wore at school with the elastic? They're being sold in Dorothy Perkins for over a tenner at the moment, but good old Shoe Zone sells them for £1.99! They're in the kids shoe section so only go up to a 6 (but I can fit my 6.5-7's in them).

Shops like this are also perfect for getting classic green wellies. I have a pair and people often ask me where I found them because they are quite hard to find (most shops are all about the printed welly these days!) These ones cost £9.99 in Shoe Zone. I prefer the green ones because they're a) old school, and b) they go with everything, unlike prints.



Secondly, don't forget to check the kids section when you're out shopping! This is probably second nature for you petite girls (like it is for my miniature friend, Jen ♥), but there is actually something in the kids dept for all sizes!

H&M's children's section in particular is absolutely brilliant. You'd think the clothes would be, erm, childish, but a lot of them are just as cool as H&M, for at least half the price (making them cooler, some might argue!) The children's range goes up to 'age 14+', which I have figured will fit a 10-14 depending on the item. There's also a wealth of genuinely awesome hair accessories (studded wrist-straps and alice bands!) for no more than £2.99 if the clothes don't take your fancy. I also found my beloved studded belt a few months ago there for about £2.99.



(All items under £2.99, including that perfect striped t-shirt!)

I went out shopping researching earlier and found clothes for all tastes. Frou frou tutus... edgy panelled leather skirts... Pastel cropped denim... See for yourself!





(all items £9.99, except the fade-dyed tutu skirt which was £7.99. Black version was only £2.99!)

(Total disregard for fitting room tidiness - model's own!)

I really loved the little grey knitted cardi. And the 'leather' skirt was a surprise because I usually only chance the stretchy items. I did try on some dungarees the other week but I had to leave them to the 14-year-olds because they cut off the circulation to my legs. It's times like these we must try to remember that however much we want a bargain, it's rarely worth losing your legs for!

xx

Ps - heartshapedbruise has reminded me to give a shout out to the menswear section! Great for boyfriend cardigans, but this is another Tuesday tip in itself! :)

27 comments:

  1. Amazing!
    The grey cardigan is exactly like a H&M 'grown up' one I brought last year for £19.99!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gotta say, I love your Tuesday tips!

    I agree with this post - & am myself pretty damn openminded about where I shop.

    I love that black dress/grey cardi outfit particularly - gorgeous!

    I'm too big (sadly) generally for kids wear nowadays, but I always check it out for accessories, & have bought many a thing from H&M Kids department!
    Another tip would be to check out Menswear. That's always worth a look too - I used to buy all my cardis & printed tees from the Mens department.

    I can't remember what else I was going to say - I'm good at that.. sorry..!

    www.heart-shaped-bruise.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. i think the majority of my wardrobe is by rights, the belongings of a 12 year old boy.

    x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I need that gray cardigan in my life! & Those plimsoles are awesome, totally getting myself a pair.

    Looking good as always Gemma x

    ReplyDelete
  5. ahh, i totally forgot about shoe zone! i may have to get myself a pair of plimsolls - thanks! :)

    also, the black tutu is just so cute, what a bargain!


    love, jazzabelle. x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh what awesome tips. I actually keep an eye out for kids clothes a lot...so much cheaper what with them being tax free. Like shoes in New Look kids are so cheap in comparison. Loving that fade-out tutu skirt!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That about the kids section at H&M is so true, I've bought really cool bracelets and necklaces there before. I've never really tried the clothing before.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't think I'd fit into much (if any) of the kidswear but I second your tip about the accessories. George is surprisingly good for this - all sorts of amazing hair accessories and cute jewellery for bargain prices.

    ReplyDelete
  9. my feet are too big for childrens shoes.damn my long toes.
    xx fi
    http://saveourshoes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. i agree! i always go into the children's bit of H&M, as i'm a crazed Hello Kitty fan, and they always have loads of cute stuff!

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love H&M Kids :) I can usually get away with dress and tops, but am always fearful of trying to squeeze my bum into the trousers and possibly ripping them!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Also, M&S kids section has served me well in the past. I'm actually going to buy wellies from Shoe Zone now this is such a good a idea thank you! xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. I haven't looked in a kids' section in ages. From the looks of things I'll definitely be having a snoop around H&M kids again soon though.
    I had a really cute yellow floral dress from there once, but it was one of the pieces they made across the entire age range and one day I ended up standing near a 4 year old wearing the same dress. Slightly cringey!

    ReplyDelete
  14. you're living at canterbury? can you tell me, where i can get opi nailpolish there?
    greets, julia :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I normally jump into the kids department for belts but I've never thought to try on any clothes, great idea! x

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love H&M kids, and also the teen part of New Look is pretty good, especially for basic tops.

    ReplyDelete
  17. i look forward to tuesdays now :) x

    ReplyDelete
  18. such a great tip! I'd never think to check the kids section but i love all your finds! The accessories are so cute but completely wearable and the faded tutu is awesome! headed to kids dept very soon! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Gotta love the kiddies and men section :) couldnt agree with you more! I actually got a guys plain black hoodie from primark the other day on my way to work, for work! The girls ones were just all so fussy with dangly sparkly bits and other unnecessary frills. Mon the boyfriend hoodies! xx

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ei.
    Gostamos muito do seu blog.
    Entre no nosso e siga-nos.
    Espero que goste.
    bjo
    http://chouchouporpatachou.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  21. I will be looking in shoe zone from now on :) x

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm so gutted I have supersized 7-8 feet otherwise I would own a million pairs of genuine school plimsolls, very unfair! x

    ReplyDelete
  23. Yay, I LOVE H&M kids section! All my fave tees are from there (yay sparkly ponies, cats and unicorns!)

    ReplyDelete
  24. doing major sneaky blog flicking at work and was scrolling yours quickly by woah, had to comment, a leather skirt for kids?! at so cheap?! hitting h&m asap!!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. This is so true! I'm a busty, curvy size 12 and kids clothes still fit me, though looking in the kids dept does worry me about slutty children... I got a see through lace tee the other, age 11, wrong on so many levels.

    tweet tweet tweet

    x

    ReplyDelete
  26. I have the first dress you had on and I love it! I think the reason why it is cheaper is because there isn't any VAT. Because kids don't have to pay it. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  27. I have the first black dress and I love it. I think the reason kids stuff is cheaper is because there is no VAT. Kids don't have to pay it. xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! ♥