11.5.10

Tuesday tip: easy bleach DIY!


(Tuesday tips is recruiting new ideas! If you know any nifty beauty or DIY tips, comment or email me them and I'll try and post them up!)

Today's tip was discovered around fashion week when that blogger BS was going on. The night before I was going to LFW, I decided I'd be really 'lol' and create a political slogan tee about it. Unfortunately I had no fabric paint to do it with. After some brain racking, I realised I could just use bleach! I didn't have a paintbrush at the time so I used a makeup brush, it was about as ridiculous as a DIY can get! Of course the irony is that it pissed down with rain all day at LFW so I didn't remove my jacket the whole day! Haha!

Anyway, I though I'd buy some paintbrushes and share the tip with you guys. It's an easy DIY but you just need to be careful because obviously bleach can be lethal if it ends up where it shouldn't (that sounds a bit dubious, I'm referring to carpets etc! Still dubious, I guess!)

I've done the the tip as a video because it's just easier than sticking a billion pictures up. It's only 5mins long. If you're not the video type, grab an old tee, draw a design with chalk or something, stick a newspaper under the first layer, paint bleach on in whatever design you choose, wait, wash and dry! That's the gist. But the video does have the added bonus of me dithering over whether to paint whiskers on or not, which I'm sure you wouldn't want to miss out on!

I did a somewhat shoddy cat's face (my artistic skills are non-existent!), but some other possible designs are: polka dots, Chanel C's, a heart, a word/phrase of your choice, or you could just stick the whole top in a bowl of diluted bleach and see how that looks!

Happy bleaching! ♥






xx

31 comments:

  1. i think this is my favourite tuesday tip so far. the video was great, i shall definately be trying this out!

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. i think this is my favourite tuesday tip so far. the video was great, i shall definately be trying this out!

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE your Tuesday Tips!
    & just so you know, yours are the only videos I actually bother watching on all the blogs I follow :)

    This was a really effective tip - wonder if I'll be brave enough to give it a go.. I love your finished product - so cute!

    www.heart-shaped-bruise.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your Tuesday tips are fab! The video made me laugh :)
    Would it be ok to tumble dry the top or would the bleach run? x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jazzabelle - Yay! Let me know how you get on if you try it out!

    heartshapedbruise - Thanks so much, that means a lot to me! You should totally give it a go. Trust me, if I can do it, anyone can! <3

    EilidhPie - So glad you like Tues tips! I think tumble drying would be fine, it's probably shrinking that would be more of a concern there. I don't have the luxury of a tumble drier (would love one!) so I can't really advise, I'm afraid! xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Gem it's fab. I fear I would end up bleaching the entire house if I tried it though - I'm not known for my crafty/DIY abilities!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yey, this is brilliant. Will definataly be trying this out. xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is FAB! I'm so gonna do polka dots, or maybe like cow spots!!
    Seriously.. so cool! And I found it oddly therapeutic watching you washing clothes..
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is such a good idea, I love your Tuesday Tips! Your videos are always nice to watch too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is a really cool tip! Such an easy idea, and so easy to recreate an individual impression on a bog-standard top. No wonder you've been buying some many H&M tops, you just want to practise your artistic skillz don't you! ;) ♥

    http://jazz-pad.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. The final product looks so cute! Glad you opted for the whiskers, haha. You seem like such a cool girl, and your blog makes me really miss England :( I love it though, haha!

    <3<3<3

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am definitely going to try this out - such a cool idea :) Keep tipping! Ha.
    http://bittenfingernails.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fab tip, I did this a while ago painting a heart(very odd shaped one) on a drapey tshirt :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. one of the best tutorial!!!!!
    tahnks so much, I'm gonna try that asap!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. great DIY, it does not look shoddy, it looks damned cute!

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Aaaww, love it! Best blogger vid ever ^^
    I'm so going to do this...

    ReplyDelete
  17. love it! such a great DIY :) and awesome blog

    btw i grew up in canterbury! lived there till i was 17, real nice city

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love this! It looks amazing, but I don't trust myself around bleach! I will try this out someday though!

    x

    ReplyDelete
  19. The top looks really cute, and so effortless! Great post (:
    x

    ReplyDelete
  20. i absolutely adore this! definately going to try it out :) x

    ReplyDelete
  21. So cool! I wanna try that!
    And nice shoes! are they keds?!

    ReplyDelete
  22. This idea is amazing, I will be trying it very soon!
    Your blog has some of the best tips ever on it, i love it :) x

    ReplyDelete
  23. If any of you do try the DIY, please share your result with me! :)

    Alex - Haha, yes it is a potentially lethal tip for the clumsy among us!

    Emma Jade - Haha that made me laugh!

    Laura - Why thankyou :) x

    Claire - Ha, good theory but I could never deface my beloved H&M jersey, I save the bleach for the charity shop t-shirts! Just in case it goes horribly wrong ;) xx

    Kylie - So glad you like the blog (+me!) Thankyou for a sweet comment :)

    hello birdy - Thanks missy ♥

    Pierrot le Fou - Thanks lovey, nice to meet an ex-Canterbury local! :)

    Stephanie - Heck no, Primark's finest! £2!

    Stevie Georgina - Thanks so much for a lovely comment :) <3

    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  24. This is great! What a fab idea! Will definitely give this a go when I'm feeling artistic! :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Girl your shirt turned out great - it seems like such a simple DIY. Simple enough for me to attempt actually...

    ReplyDelete
  26. This looks awesome! I really want to try it... but can't think of a design!

    Danni
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  27. love love love this!! What a nifty idea, will have to try some time this week :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. i've just come across your blog, and i absolutely love it! love this, neeeed to try it! such an inspiration :D

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! ♥