20.4.09

My weekend in outfits



So, on saturday, I went into town to buy some mags with my precious few pennies I have left until this Friday. I bought Nylon, Dazed, and i-D. £12 later, whilst reading them, I couldn't help but feel cheated. I think I'm in a magazine rut. I always furiously flick through my new mags, hoping something will catch my attention and make the dollars worthwhile. But Dazed and i-D rarely seem to. Nylon is one of my favourites but the sickly sweetness sometimes gets to me a bit. Why do all these magazines praise everything? Is there a Fashion magazine out there that will say when they think something is a bit shit? I really want to find one! Or even start one, someday... I'm not saying I want to spend money to read a magazine that sends me into a pessimistic-comment-induced depression, but something that is truly honest, not kissing up to designers or brands and not sounding like a neverending sales pitch. Like Vice, but with pretty pictures, perhaps? Recommendations appreciated!

Anyhow, I took a slightly creepy outfit pic. Maybe my head is spinning from the prior magazine sugar rush?



Top (DIY-ed) - Stella McCartney @ Tkmaxx
Belt - Vintage
Jeans - Gap
Flats - Vintage Russell & Bromley

That night, I went to a Pirate fancy dress party. I hadn't prepared a costume or anything but luckily I seem to own fairly piratey clothes.



Waiscoat - h&m
Scarf - from a pal
Top - Topshop
Shorts - Asda
Belt - h&m
Tights - who knows? I found it incredibly hard to deliberately ladder them though, making me wonder how I manage to ladder every pair of tights I own. I actually resorted to scissors in the end!
Boots - Vintage

On Sunday, I had work.




Coral t-shirt dress - Topshop
Blazer - M&S via charity shop
Bag - Vintage
Pin - Snooper's Paradise in brighton
Leggings - New Look (don't buy leggings from New Look, they cause immense crotch-sag)

I also did all my mannequins for Topshop (as part of a training scheme to get me to 'standard level' as opposed to 'training level' where I currently reside). The task was to dress 3 to represent each trend (Memphis - boho, Miami Vice - 80's ish and Buccaneer - tailored and nautical but feminine), so I did those and 2 extra mixy matchy ones (the 2 on the right) which were to my personal taste.




This task further proved to me that I cannot 'do' boho in any way shape or form (first mannequin on the left). She just doesn't look right to me. But nevermind! I have completed the task so that's all that matters!

Watching pre-recorded Come Dine With Me with the boyf, now! Can't wait! I want to be on that show.

xo

6 comments:

  1. its the hair that makes teh mannequins look odd!! but i think on ppl it looks fine im sure :-D!

    and i love the pirate look, the scarf/headband really suits you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Which issue of Dazed was disappointing.... that's a work-related pondering....

    I agree with you on boho.... tis a hard word to grasp in itself....

    ReplyDelete
  3. you did a great job on the mannequins! and i love your pirate outfit :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. the mannequins are very cool =]
    nice outfits!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks guys!
    Susie - Sorry for late reply! The issue I'm on about is the Mavericks issue but I think it's more of a case of me being on a different wavelength to it than Dazed's own shortcomings. Sometimes I love it and sometimes I really don't get it. I think that's to be expected with these magazines that often have a different theme like Dazed & Nylon etc.. the result can be inconsistent. Fashion journalism wise I do tend to err on the girlier side of things and the Mavericks issue in particular certainly had more of a men's magazine vibe to it. Articles on street-fighting, Grant Morrison, "Rap icon 'Doom'", sneakers, Sibling...
    That's just my view though. I'm sure many girls that are less hideously un-cultured than I would find it interesting! x

    ReplyDelete
  6. They are becoming the enhancement option of choice for many men for several reasons. vimax pills is the best penis enlargement pills on the market today.more info visit http://www.male-sexual.com/vimax-pills.html
    - http://www.pillspenisproducts.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! ♥